Saturday, July 24, 2010

Chartres!!

Yesterday morning at 8 am I left my place in Paris for Chartres.  

 

After approximately 2 hours (my time on the metro combined with train traveling) I arrived in the peaceful town of Chartres.  What was I too see while exiting the train? Well, none other than the Chartres cathedral!!!


Since I was hungry at this time, I walked around for a little while to find a cafe.  
When I found one, I entered and was asked by a waitress where I would like to eat: inside or outside.
I replied: outside.  She then led me to through the cafe to the other side.  After walking outside I was seated.  

Looking straight ahead, I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw: the Chartres cathedral was no more than twenty feet  in front of me!!

It is rather difficult to convey the feelings that I had experienced with this discovery. 
Surprise: obviously. 
Happy: without a doubt!


Here I enjoyed a Croque Monsieur with a walnut salad.  I had a cafe creme with that as well.



After this I went inside the cathedral.  It was almost 12 o'clock.  Here I found a tour-guide who was recommended to me from one of my professors.  His name is Malcolm Miller.  Have you heard of him?




The tour was great! I recommend it to anyone looking for a good lesson on the history of the cathedral. 


This was by far my favorite part of the trip.  If you ever find yourself in France, I highly recommend that you go to the Chartres cathedral. 
Au revoir!!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Nick,
    Wonderful experience! Can wait to hear your lecture of the day. Wish we were with you! Drink in the ambience and keep taking photos. We saw some good art at the Bellevue Art Fair this morning. We were certainly thinking of you and talking about you as we saw many pieces from Europe and Paris. There was a photo of the Eiffel Tower from close up which only had some of the structure, I thought maybe you could experiment and take some arty photos to add to your collection. You'll treasure your many photos for years to come. - Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete